Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Passed Smog!

In California, when you own an old car, smog check is the lord looming over you with a certain sort of dread.

So when I had my smog check today and I PASSED, I was more than ecstatic-I went to Trader Joe's and bought champagne to celebrate.

The death of my last Volvo was when I spent over eight hundred dollars and it still didn't pass smog. I retired her to the state and took the check to buy another Volvo-a '93, but this is the year they stopped making the 240, the only car I've owned since college...so I don't know what I am going to do when this car doesn't pass smog because they just don't make Volvos like they used to. I am so old saying that.

But I have at least two more years. Hooray!

I called chemo to tell him the good news.

He didn't answer.

He sent me an email and said he was sorry he wasn't home.

There's a certain anxiety in owning an old car. Like the certain anxiety in our cancer ridden relationship.

But there's also relief when you realize there's a little life left in it.

3 comments:

  1. Honda Civic. I vouch for them as cars and relationship models. Not so sexy on the outside but the stereo still works and it never leaves me stranded on the freeway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!

    I just put a little over $600 into my '98 Nissan Frontier, for new tires and a tune up. I'd sell it, but it's paid for. I thought I was going to spend another $400 on brake issues (they screech horribly) but they are fine. I was shocked that the mechanic told me they still had 50% left on the pads instead of ripping me off and putting new ones on. There are still some honest mechanics out there, and even in L.A. (or in this case WeHo).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, don't start getting me nostalgic for Volvo's. I cry for mine everytime I see a puke gray 240! Have to say, not having to pay for repairs and getting over 30 MPG does have its advantages, though.

    ReplyDelete