Sunday, December 6, 2009

Phone Conversations

I asked him today if his tumor had shrunk from the radiation. He said according to the X-Rays, it had.

Years ago, the end of the affair came when we were talking every day. He said it was too much like a relationship.

I called and left a message for him after talking with my best friend's mom. I hadn't talked to her since her heart surgery two months ago. She told me how while she was in the coma, she said she was ready to go...for God to take her. And then she was sent back. She thought she was at a party. The nurse had to tell her she was in intensive care at the hospital. Everything is swollen from the lymphedema. After a battle with inserting a catheder, she is bleeding from her crotch and it may need to be cauterized. Meanwhile, her husband is complaining about the price of her latte from Starbucks.

I could barely leave a coherent message for him—I kept crying. I can't explain why I was so emotional. Maybe it was just my period. Maybe it is because I feel such a deep connection after speaking with her, and I am afraid of losing the people I love.

He said he was calling back just to make sure I was alright after hearing the message that he couldn't really make out, but knew I was crying.

I didn't really know what to say to him. So we talked about Tiger Woods. He said I needed to find a rich man to turn out like Tiger Woods and then steal all his money. He thinks his wife should leave him. Only poor women need to stay with a man that cheats because they have kids to support and can't do it by themselves. I said, "But what if she loves him?"

Years ago, I used to love the show Cheaters on Saturday night. I found out he watched it too. I think it said something about how we spent our Saturday nights.

He asked if I thought I could turn out Tiger Woods. I said I wasn't his type.

He admitted that I turned him out for a split second.

I miss those phone conversations we used to have—the ones where he would tell me about his day and make jokes as I told him about mine. The ones that ended the affair because it was too much like a relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. What a real and sad post. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete