Thursday, October 29, 2009

Angels' Night


Detroit Public Schools are asking people to donate light bulbs and toilet paper because they are bankrupt.

There is an entire section dedicated to Devil’s Night arson in Detroit on Wikipedia. I had no idea. I’m from Michigan. In fact, I was living in Ann Arbor, MI during the height of the arson 44 miles away. I guess that makes me part of the University bubble. As part of my studies, I was going into prisons and working with at risk youth. I learned about the Bloods and the Crips, but no one was talking about the arson.

My mother is from Detroit. Her father was a tool and dye maker. He had an eighth grade education and came from a family of fifteen children. He was able to do well for himself. But that was many years ago.

In my hometown, Habitat for Humanity is actually tearing homes down.

I feel like an old fart, but what is happening here?

Never fear, Angels’ Night is here! Detroit organized and now crime is down around town.

Now if they can just get their public schools together. If we could all just get our public schools together. If people cared that students didn’t have light bulbs and toilet paper here in the United States. So much for Brown Vs. Board of Education and progress…

2 comments:

  1. Holy shit, I had no idea about any of this. Great post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither did I--horrifying. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Is there a fundraising campaign happening that I could mention on my blog?

    ReplyDelete